Peco is searching for a Refrigeration Technician at our plant in West Point, MS.
Organizes and performs advanced service, repairs, troubleshooting and overhauls to Anhydrous Ammonia Refrigeration System(s) in a manner that complies with federal, state, local, codes and standards, as well as, company rules, PSM/RMP policies, safe work practices and RAGAGEP’s.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete special organizational projects on an as needed basis.
- Fulfilling all duties as necessary, described within the Refrigeration Operator job description, and abiding by all the requirements therein.
- Follows all company policies and procedures such as GMP’s, Food Safety, PSM/RMP, Lock Out/Tag Out, Confined Space, etc.
- Checking ammonia valves of the manufacturing plant, outside, condenser, and exhaust fans.
- Executing complex repairs and major overhauls to system components, and associated equipment, utilizing original equipment manufacturers recommendations and specifications and/or other recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices.
- Understanding complex electrical schematics, PLC control functions, and Electrical Distribution systems and the ability to troubleshoot root causes and determine proper repairs.
- Performing charging, evacuation, and pressure testing of system vessels and components during projects and Line Equipment procedures in accordance with established policies and industry standards.
- Performing installations and replacements of refrigeration system components and associated equipment, within the guidelines set forth by the management of change procedure.
- Analyzing system data and trending values to determine the need for increased maintenance frequencies or improved maintenance procedures and safe work practices.
- Assisting department management in the supervision and documentation of Contractor activity and performance on or around the process equipment.
- Providing mechanical and technical guidance and expertise to Operation Level Refrigeration Operators to continually improve the education, experience and skill set within the department.
- Participating as a member of the Emergency Response Team and responding to events including chemical releases and spills as required.
- Assisting in the operation, maintenance, and continuous improvement of other Utility Systems.
- Must be able to set up, troubleshoot, overhaul, and maintain and perform preventive maintenance on machinery including but not limited to electric motors, PLC’s and electrical systems, conveyor systems, pneumatics, and hydraulic systems.
- Have a strong working knowledge of Lockout and Tagout programs.
- Must have a basic knowledge of computers and be able to complete maintenance reporting as necessary.
- Basic welding and metal fabrication preferred.
- Familiarity with and/or experience working around refrigeration systems preferred.
- Must be able to wear all assigned personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hair restraints, hearing protection, eye protection, hard hats, and SCBA respirators.
- Identify and report any suspicious situations to immediate supervisor or plant management official where product tampering/adulteration could be taking place or any action that could put product wholesomeness at stake.
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- 1-3 years of experience in industrial maintenance and refrigeration, preferably in the poultry industry.
- Experience with operating and maintaining ammonia refrigeration systems in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- PREFERRED CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE: RETA based Industrial Ammonia Operator Level II training program. RETA Certified Assistance Refrigeration Operator (CARO), RETA Certified Industrial Refrigeration Operator (CIRO) program. Hazmat Technician Level and maintaining the Annual 8-hour refresher training.
- FIT-FOR-DUTY MEDICAL APPROVAL: Medical evaluation, physical examination and pulmonary testing for Hazmat purposes. Required for pre-employment and annually thereafter. Periodic testing may be needed when business necessitates (i.e. after exposure to hazardous material, serious health changes).
- Demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and prioritize accordingly.
- Superior teamwork and communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet applicable deadlines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to move throughout the facility including but not limited to bending, stooping, climbing, lifting of various weights and standing/walking up to 100% of the shift.
- Working regularly within a manufacturing environment with moving machinery that is wet, noisy, and with extreme temperature changes.
- Possesses the skills needed to repair, maintain and troubleshoot machinery.
- Able to use critical thinking to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Knows machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Able to wear an Air Purifying Respirator and a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus.
- Able to respond to emergency situations and fill various roles on emergency response team.
- Able to work at heights and in dangerous places where balance is poor, specifically on a roof.
This job description is not a comprehensive list of duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Management may change or add duties and responsibilities at any time without notice.
West Point, MS