Peco Foods, Inc. is seeking an EHS Manager II at our further processing plant in Canton, MS.
Primarily responsible for leading the Safety and Compliance function for a single business unit. Communicating and fostering the safety vision and culture for Peco Foods, Inc. Will manage safety initiative to ensure prevention of injury, illness, and property damage, ensuring compliance with Peco Foods, OSHA, EPA, State and other regulatory requirements. This individual is a Health and Safety professional that provides advanced technical, functional and program management activities. Activities include Planning, directing and providing leadership across a division or multi-location business unit. Works under the direction of a Plant Manager and Corporate Director of Health and Safety.
Essential Functions of Position
- Effectively manage Safety for the plant to ensure the prevention of injuries, illnesses, and property damage or loss.
- Work collaboratively with all levels of management as well as line employees, serves as a "safety coach" to line supervisors and local managers.
- Provide oversight on advanced matters of workplace health, safety and environmental.
- Provide functional or direct supervision to one or more Health and Safety professional(s).
- Offer counseling to managers and supervisors on how to administer coaching regarding safe and unsafe behavior.
- Provide performance appraisal feedback on staff to local operations leaders.
- Provide leadership to drive a culture of safety excellence with the end goal being zero accidents.
- Effectively manage regulatory requirements and compliance to ensure the prevention of citations and penalties.
- Manage Workers’ Compensation claims and track injury and illness statistics to help identify safety concerns by trend analysis and provide recommendations to minimize these concerns.
- Interact with third party administrator and their personnel to provide/receive updates on WC claims.
- Interact with outside legal counsel, where necessary, to provide/receive updates on pending workers’ compensation claim, including those in litigation.
- Manage the Safety Program established for contractors.
- Schedule and conduct monthly safety trainings.
- Manage and oversee the activities of the plant Safety Committee.
- Manage the Alchemy Safety Training Platform to ensure all team member receive all required annual training. Measure the effectiveness of the training.
- Provide Safety Training to Supervisors and Plant Management.
- Manage the completion and submission of yearly OSHA Log.
- Oversee Safety Training for New Hires.
- Help develop and Implement written Health and Safety programs and company safety policies aligned with Federal & State requirements (ie, OSHA, EPA or the respective State agencies).
- Administer the local hearing conservation program per OSHA regulatory requirements.
- Conduct Plant incident investigations; utilize known root cause analysis techniques; work with local line leaders to implement processes to prevent reoccurrence.
- Be present during all inspections involving outside parties; give recommended strategies for improving safety performance; manages all statistics to prioritize areas of immediate concern; and customize training efforts tailored to those areas.
- Maintain all EHS records and files and always be “inspection ready”.
- Review and maintain all company personal injury records. Develop strategies that will successfully bring injured employees back to work in a timely fashion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Walk inside and outside of the facility often.
- Required to stand, bend, stoop, crouch, twist and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to withstand hot, cold and wet environments.
Position Type and Hours:
- Regular worksite attendance;
- Full-time position/Dayshift
- May require off-shift and weekend work
- 1-3 (medical and safety)
Qualifications for Position
Skills and Abilities:
- High level of organizational, written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail
- Sound work ethic, honesty and moral character
- Effectively able to Strong multi-task and prioritize work accordingly
- Effective able to manage conflict
- Ability to be creative and demonstrate innovative methods to advance workplace safety
Minimum Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in safety, industrial hygiene, engineering or related discipline plus 5-10 years of related experience, OR
- High School Diploma or Equivalent along with safety certifications (ex.- CSHT) required PLUS 10 years relevant safety experience
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in a manufacturing setting preferred, food & beverage is a plus
- Credentials as an OHST or CSP or other recognized certifications are a plus
This job description is not a comprehensive list of duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Management may change or add duties and responsibilities at any time without notice.
Peco Foods, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.